Searching in openNCCC

by Kenneth Treimann 1 year, 2 months ago

I noticed something interesting (and a bit frustrating) about the openNCCC search feature.  If I use the common search (or advanced search) to search for "malware" I get only one result (a Keynote presentation).  However, if I browse using the Discover feature, select Computer Science under Subject Areas, and then Information Systems Management, I can scroll down to a Cybersecurity study unit from Georgia Virtual Learning, which mentions malware.  So it appears that "malware" in the Keynote was added to the search index, but "malware" in the study unit was not.  Does anyone know what openNCCC is using for a search engine?  Is it configured to index some content but not others?  Can the index be regenerated to include missing content?  openNCCC has a lot to offer, but it isn't always easy to find!

Patrick Tribble 1 year, 2 months ago

I reached out to OpenNCCC about the search issue last year and this was their response. 

"The root of the issue, as I see it, is that openNCCC is a combined database of databases, many of which are “crowd sourced” by users & authors.  Each of them is labeled slightly differently, as they are labeled by the author, or the person who found it and submitted it.  In practice this means that as you add filters, you are drastically decreasing your chances of finding something relevant."

You're welcome to submit a comment or ticket to OpenNCCCabout the search tool.  The more they hear about the issue, the more likely they will fix it.