Lumen Learning and Course Hero

by Erin Wedehase 1 year, 6 months ago

Hi, everyone. What are your thoughts on Lumen Learning passing course content to Course Hero. I've relied on Lumen for some of their lessons before, but now I'm thinking about not using the resource anymore. How do others feel?

Here is the situation in more detail: https://www.edsurge.com/news/2022-07-11-course-hero-quietly-took-over-hosting-lumen-s-oer-content-they-say-it-s-no-big-deal

Erik Sugg 1 year, 6 months ago

Hello, Erin.

I haven't followed up on that situation lately, but it was quite the buzz this summer.

From what I can see, the only resource where Lumen pulled that maneuver is the ENG 111 College Composition I text, which linked to this via Course Hero. When we learned of this, it was brought immediately to the attention of the instructor who was using it, and to the department head. It was mutually decided that Wake Tech should not align with a site like Course Hero given its reputation for academic integrity.

That said? Lumen does have resources hosted from it's own site, (some Wake Tech business instructors are currently using a few of them.) The English resources Lumen is currently providing from its home page alleviate the Course Hero concern, but there remains the caveate of paying a fee for their interactive software, Waymaker. I personally haven't examined their price breakdown, but according to previous OER reports within the college, they are costly.

I've been communicating lately with many of our literature instructors on how to locate and utilize individual OER components for their classes. I know OER for Wake Tech's English department is currently under development, and there are many challenges and ideas afloat. As a new member to eLSID, and someone who is involved with OER initivatives for the college, please consider me an ally and reach out any time you have questions, concerns, and ideas. I feel if we all work together and keep one another informed on situations as they arise, we can get some good resources in place that will benefit both faculty and students.