Gradebook Setup Settings Import or Backup/Restore

by Lane Freeman 1 year, 2 months ago

Good afternoon!

I am offering a professional development course called “Moodle Mastery 101” to NC Community College System faculty.  I am teaching the participants how to set up their gradebooks.  The one issue they keep mentioning is the need to set up the grade book each semester after they transfer the course to the new semester.

If an instructor uses the Backup | Restore feature, the gradebook should come into the new course with the grade book settings and weights, correct?  I noticed that “Import” will not always bring over the gradebook setup, which may be why faculty are struggling with gradebook setup transferring.

Is there anything you have that I can share with these faculty to help them transfer their gradebook each semester without the need to reassign categories and weights?

Thanks.

Angela Herring 1 year, 2 months ago

I got you Lane! In my experience, if you import into a clean, untouched course, it is most likely to bring over the grade book set up in the import process.

By clean, untouched, I mean that the course shells have been created for the semester using the standard template and the instructor has not made any modifications to the course prior to performing the import.

It appears that any modifications confuse Moodle and, as a result, it does not always import the grade book setup with the categories.

Angela

Lane Freeman 1 year, 2 months ago

Thanks, Angela.  That makes sense.  I assume with the new Moodle updates there may be a lot of folks double-checking their grade book structures ;-)

Leah Knowles 1 year, 2 months ago

Hi Lane! We use Open LMS with the SNAP theme.

For a few years now, if you uncheck a single graded item in the import list, it resets the gradebook. Meaning to faculty it's broken because the categories are gone, but in reality Moodle just reset it which removes the categories. 

We tell faculty to do a full import of the previous course, don't uncheck any items, and don't click the "Jump to the end" button the import screen provides (it is not your friend).

Once a full import is done, then delete whatever you do not want from the course. This prevents a reset of the gradebook, so categories remain.