OER Help - Intro to Jazz

by Stacey Russell 1 year, 6 months ago

Hi :)

I have been looking and failing to find a suitable "Introduction to Jazz" OER text option. I'd love to switch out our expensive ($100) textbook for an OER text, but am having issues. 

Any advice?

Thanks!
-Stacey

Elizabeth Simpson 1 year, 6 months ago

Hi  Stacey,

I did a quick search of the major platforms, and I'm not finding something specifically jazz.

Here are a few syllabi that don't seem to use textbooks, you may be able to use the links they are using for resources:  

This brings up a somewhat philosophical question for you:  Why are you looking for an OER text?  What is the purpose?

If you want a true open licensed OER textbook that you can download and edit, you'll have fewer options.  

If what you need is a cost-savings, you have many more options.  You could rely on free resources to come up with your case-studies and examples, which are not OER.  Also, a lot of people have had good results by selecting a book that is popular, inexpensive, and accessible in a variety of formats, but not OER.  It is not a TEXTBOOK, and it is not OER, but it is a book that serves as a guide and centerpiece of the class and costs nothing or very little.  

For example, would something in the spirit of this one work?  https://www.amazon.com/How-Listen-Jazz-Ted-Gioia/dp/0465093493/ref=asc_df_0465093493/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312126490544&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5258227065935928564&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018981&hvtargid=pla-415287730533&psc=1

Not necessarily THIS exact book, but something inexpensive, easy to find in a variety of formats, etc.  

Also, keep in mind, that it's rare to find an OER textbook that is perfect for exactly what you need.  Most instructors find a few items which are decent, and then edit them, and combine them with other materials.  

Stacey Russell 1 year, 6 months ago

Thanks, Ed! I appreciate you looking!

This text sounds more like a Music Appreciation text, vs a text solely about Jazz, unfortunately. Thanks, again, for trying!

-Stacey

Patrick Tribble 1 year, 6 months ago

Hi Stacey,

Have you contacted one of your college librarians for assistance yet?  I would highly recommend reaching out to your library for assistance with the jazz search.

Patrick