Evaluating Resources (Webinar Two)

by Joanna Schimizzi 1 year, 6 months ago

Discusison Board Tip: Please reply directly to this prompt by clicking "reply" below.

Prompt: Please share the following:

1. The platform offers three methods of evaluating a resource - star ratings, leaving comments or using an embedded rubric. Which method of evaluating do you prefer?

2. What do you tend to look for when you do a brief skim of a resource?

Michael Jefferson 1 year, 6 months ago

1. The platform offers three methods of evaluating a resource - star ratings, leaving comments or using an embedded rubric. Which method of evaluating do you prefer

• I prefer the quick star rating. This gives me an idea of what others thought on a familar scale. This is kind of what I use for judgement 1 star: keep it moving | 2 or 3 stars: you may or may not be wasting your time | 4 or 5 stars take a look there are some good things here lol 

• I like to look for ease of implementation, aurthor, references, learning outcomes if applicable, scope and sequence of the resource and any apparent mistakes right off hand.  
Leigh Heath 1 year, 6 months ago

Michael,

I agree about apparent mistakes.  Several of my courses have a grammar component and I find myself judging material based on grammar and spelling errors regardless of the content.  If I find a resource, no matter how "good" it appears, I will pass it by if I see obvious grammatical errors.  

Cynthia Cofield 1 year, 6 months ago

Hey Leigh,

You are right about the grammar and spelling errors. There are numerous grammar checks (like the Grammarly add-on) and spell check options (like Microsoft Editor, which is built into Word or you can as an add-on) to help you get it right. A writer or publisher should take the time to "get it right" before publishing the resource.

That's my two-cents worth! :-)

Cynthia

Cynthia Cofield 1 year, 6 months ago

Michael,

I too prefer the quick star rating. It is quick and it gives you a general idea of how others see the resource. This is similar to restaurant and movie ratings. For example, if a restaurant has a 5-star rating, I want to eat there. If it has 2-3 stars, then I am probably not going to eat there.

You had some excellent thoughts Michael!

Cynthia

J Edward Ladenburger 1 year, 6 months ago

1. The platform offers three methods of evaluating a resource - star ratings, leaving comments, or using an embedded   rubric. Which method of evaluation do you prefer?

• In order of "preference: Star rating (quick, easy, overall impression); Leaving comments (allows for details regarding the overall impression or other specific aspects you may wish to address); Using the embedded rubric (personally, I have trouble with pre-made forms and almost always feel the need to "explain" or change the rubric )

• depends on what I am looking for -- but always -- clarity (reading text), and ease of "navigation" or for the resource to be "easy on the eyes" (part graphic design, part logic and conceptual order)

Nick Westveer 1 year, 6 months ago

1. I prefer the Star Rating. As I look through resources I prefer the easy comparison between resources the star rating gives. This allows me to narrow down the resource list quickly to reduce the overall time spent.

2. As I look at the resource I look for key words associated with the topic, length, and readability. If it looks like part or all of the resource may be useful I then look at more in depth reviews of the resource before I do a complete read of it.

Belinda Petricek 1 year, 6 months ago

Nick, I agree with your perspective on the star rating. I often filter by number of stars.

Claudia Vestal 1 year, 5 months ago

Prompt: Please share the following:

1. The platform offers three methods of evaluating a resource - star ratings, leaving comments or using an embedded rubric. Which method of evaluating do you prefer?

I prefer stars as I am a visual learner. Then, I tend to read all the reviews to make sure the content, material and objectives will be beneficial to my students.  

1. What do you tend to look for when you do a brief skim of a resource?

2. Learning objectives, content, scope and sequence and skills to be practiced. 

Leigh Heath 1 year, 6 months ago
  1. The platform offers three methods of evaluating a resource - star ratings, leaving comments or using an embedded rubric. Which method of evaluating do you prefer? I prefer the star ratings as it gives me an overall idea of the resource.  If the star rating is low (1-2), I am less likely to take the time to read the material.  If resources are limited in the subject area, I may give a 3-star rated resource a brief "skim" and will also look at the comments left, but I prefer to use 4+ stars.  I feel like it will probably be more reliable.

2. What do you tend to look for when you do a brief skim of a resource?  I look for resources that get my attention with charts, graphs, and pictures.  I feel like when there is a variety, not just words, it will pique the interest of my students no matter what their learning style is.

Rachel Whitener 1 year, 5 months ago

Leigh

I agree with you regarding the star rating and I am also more likely to skip over content with less than 3-4 stars.

Rachel

Carole Mehle 1 year, 6 months ago

I admit that prefer the ratings just as they were mentioned. I look for star ratings first. I don't leave comments until I have used the resource. I don't always have time to complete a rubric. That's not to say I wouldn't employ it, however. The stars are just the most accessible. 

One thing I do that Liz encouraged was to share in what class I am using the resource. For example, I have some videos that I use in my HUM 115 class, so I tagged them, and if one searches by class and HUM 115, my resources show. I like to see what others have found useful and how they used it. 

I tend to go in with a specific task in mind. I review a potential resource to see how it could work for my students. Many times, if it is a video resource, I watch it to be sure it is what I need. For example, I need an interactive exercise that will build skills in eliminating informal language in writing. I may access it in student view and use it myself. 

I also consider if the resource is accessible to my students -- not too much text, possibly interactive, visually appealing. 

Dawn Harvel 1 year, 6 months ago

Like some others, I wouldn't likely rely on just one, but a combination. I would look quickly at the star ratings and if it was rated 3 or higher I might click in and actually look at the resource. After that, I would look at the comments to see what others are thinking about it. If there are no comments, or if the comments were really mixed, I would go to the rubric. Of all three types, I like comments the best as they may offer examples or more concrete information. Rubrics and stars are good, but leave a lot of room for inter-rater variation. 

I look at a number of things - how attractive it is, length, how substantive it is. I also would pay attention to currency, grammar, and how much of it might be useful to what I'm trying to accomplish. I might also be looking for something specific - if I want a video I would scour for that. If I have time, I might dive deep into the available resources. If I'm looking for something quick, I may focus more of the feedback it's received. This was a long way of saying "it really depends on my needs in the moment." :)

Christine Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

I really like the embedded rubric because it allows me to see exactly why someone liked or didn't like a resource. With the stars, they may have liked the resource just because it was colorful or maybe because it was informative, but it may be completely irrelevant to what I'm looking for. The rubric takes a little longer to complete as the reviewer, but since I can choose what I'm reviewing it based on, it really does help with ultimately looking for resources. Currently there aren't enough of these completed to make this an effective item to search for, but with enough of a team effort, it could be a great resource.

Frances Minton 1 year, 6 months ago

1.  I prefer to evaluate using comments because I like for others to know the specific things I found to be of use ... or not.

2.  I tend to look at the stars first.  After determing whether the number of five stars outweighs the number of lesser ratings, I review the comments for the specifics that others mentioned.

Patricia Williams 1 year, 6 months ago

The platform offers three methods of evaluating a resource - star ratings, leaving comments or using an embedded rubric. Which method of evaluating do you prefer?

• I tend to like the start ratings better, although they are not as helpful overal as an embedded rubric. But, in our fast paced job and all that we need to do, I tend to lean toward the start rating.

What do you tend to look for when you do a brief skim of a resource?

• typically I will look for learning outcomes and level of difficulty. I want to make sure it is collegiate level and meets the outcomes of the course I am teaching. Then, if that is met, I will dive deeper. :)

Looking forward to everyone else's comments.

Patricia Williams :)

Lucretia White 1 year, 6 months ago

Good morning.

1. Although all three methods have benefits, I prefer the star rating. When I am reviewing resources, it helps to see which items have been vetted by peers. I tend to look for five-star ratings first. An embedded rubric is also helpful because it provides specific feedback. 

2. Readability, ratings, and relevancy are three things that I look for when I skim a resource. 

Rochelle Mabry 1 year, 6 months ago

I like the idea of the start rating because it's faster and easier, but in order to be truly useful I think evaluation needs to include feedback with reasons for ratings. I like the combination of star ratings with comments (like user reviews on Amazon, etc.). You may have to sort through some of the less helpful comments, but I still think the combination is more effective than simple ratings. 

When I check a resource, I first determine if it fits with the lesson or class outcomes. I then check to see if the information is subtantial enough for a college-level course (depth of information, reliable evidence and sources, etc.) but still accessible for first or second year students. 

Jennifer Smith 1 year, 6 months ago

The star rating is quick and useful and then if I thought it was a good resource I could see if there were comments, etc. 

I tend to look for good information that I can adapt and find useful for my needs.

Julie Reed 1 year, 6 months ago

I do usually look at the star ratings first and would say I prefer those - then I review the comments as well. I will take a look at a rubric if I'm doing a more in-depth search and not just skimming for resources.

I'm looking for comments from instructors who have used the resource and in what class - I also like to be able to show our faculty how other faculty have used the resource and if they found it relevant. I am generally looking for specific items based on requests I get from faculty. Knowing the type of resource (book, video, quiz, interactive exercise) is very important as well as how it integrates into an LMS. 

Jonee Callahan 1 year, 6 months ago
  1. The platform offers three methods of evaluating a resource - star ratings, leaving comments or using an embedded rubric. Which method of evaluating do you prefer? I prefer comments because they allow me to read what others thought of the  resource.
      1. The topics
      2. If it would be easy for the students to understand

Rachel Whitener 1 year, 6 months ago
  1. The platform offers three methods of evaluating a resource - star ratings, leaving comments or using an embedded rubric. Which method of evaluating do you prefer? I liked the star rating, for the following reasons 1- speed, it doesn't take but a few seconds to select a number of stars to represent feelings about a topic. 2- visually you can see quickly whether you should check the resource out or skip it. 

2. What do you tend to look for when you do a brief skim of a resource?  I looked for clarity, spelling errors, images, and cited sources with a biblography.

Paula Barnette 1 year, 5 months ago

I prefer the star rating because it is quicker. It serves as a filter for me. If the resource has a high star rating (4-5), I think it is worth looking at.  If it has a low star review (1-2), I move on.  I usually don't look unless the number of resourses I find are limited. Then I look for the comments to see if I can use any part of the resource and what others think. 

2.  What do you tend to look for when you do a brief skim of a resource?

• First I look to see if the resource has already been reviewed. How many stars? Any comments?
  • What is the curriculum level? Does it have the licenses I need/want? Any course alignments?
  • Next, I look to see if the resource actually has the filtered content I was looking for. For example, if I filtered for an interactive resource, does it have interactive content and what kind?
  • Then I check the resource content. Does it have the specific content I need, any grammar errors, calculating (math) erors, broken links, is it engaging or can I make it work or remix for my students,etc?
Carole Mehle 1 year, 5 months ago

Hi, Paula! I have been aligning for the courses as I use the resources. I love it when people do that.

Angela Davis 1 year, 5 months ago

Which method of evaluating do you prefer?

• I prefer a combination of stars and comments that give a reason for the number of stars.  

• The stars catch my eye when quickly skimming a list of results. It's even more helpful when the rating is accompanied by comments from instructors who have used the resource. As a librarian searching on behalf of faculty, I need info from other instructors to help me understand what they like (or don't like) about a resource. 

Jennifer Smith 1 year, 5 months ago

This is a really helpful perspective.  Thanks!  I'm a librarian that might be asked to help faculty find resources. 

Britney Smith 1 year, 5 months ago

Angela, I'm the same way. I like to see the stars followed by the comments on why the item was rated. It saves me a lot of time clicking around within the actual source. 

Marty Flynn 1 year, 5 months ago

1. I prefer the star rating.

2. I look for ratings, readability,clarity, and visual content.

Britney Smith 1 year, 5 months ago
  1. I prefer star ratings and comments. This usually gives me quick, discernible feedback on whether a resource is relevant to my search and needs. 
  2. I tend to look for chapters, units, and a mix of images/videos/text within the resource. I want to make sure the matieral is interactive, but still looks like a textbook. I also look for resources that have a PDF version in case students aren't able to access the website for any reason (internet down or slow internet connection).
Deborah Barrett 1 year, 5 months ago

I prefer to do star ratings or leave comments. Each of these are easy, but again since evaluations are very personal to me, what I may find useful will differ from what others find useful. Some of the things I look for are current source material, since my discipline changes frequently I prefer to use sources that are current or provide links to current trends or research. I also like to see material that will provide different learning options for students both inperson and online.

Marion Pope 1 year, 5 months ago

The platform offers three methods of evaluating a resource - star ratings, leaving comments, or using an embedded rubric. Which method of evaluation do you prefer?

I prefer the quick star rating.

I look for learning outcomes, module outcomes, the age of the textbook, and how many downloads or views it has received. Has it been remixed?

Thank you,

Marion

bisceglia white 1 year, 5 months ago

Marion, I prefer the star rating as well because it is so quick. I also like to read the comments of others before I dive deep into a resourse because there is no need for me to use lose time on a resource if I can not use it.

For me star ratings would be what I would use because I am so familar with star ratings. I would also leave a comment if I felt it was needed. When doing a brief skim for resources I use key words that fit into what I am looking for. I also look to see how it fits into my course or assignment.

Carla Colin 1 year, 5 months ago
  • I prefer a star rating and leaving comments, because it is quick and easy

2. What do you tend to look for when you do a brief skim of a resource?

• I look at the title of the resource and if I find it interesting, check to see if it applies to my class. Then I check the rating to see what others think of the resource.
William Teale 1 year, 5 months ago

Reading comments gives me a more useful insight into the validity of the review. 

When I'm skimming a resource I have my lesson in my mind, and try to think of what I would like to find if I was the student, would it help or confuse me in understanding the consepts being taught.

William, I am the same way. I have my lesson in mind and if this content would benefit the lesson

Alisha Webb 1 year, 5 months ago

I like the star rating in this platform.

When I skim a resource, I look at organization. I also look at the length. I read the description and then look for myself to see if the description is accurate. 

I also look to see if authors provide credentials. 

Paige Roseman 1 year, 5 months ago

So far, I have not used the feedback much, but I look forward to gaining confidence. The star-system is intuitive, but I think that the opportunities for comments/feedback in the form of a rubric (and/or additional explanation) may be more helpful for subject-specific resources. I am most curious how other instructors rate, evaluate, and can update/modify - and I look forward to being part of this process. Paige, Psychology instructor

Cliff Berry 1 year, 5 months ago

I prefer the star rating; however, I do read comments that have been posted.

I look for quality of content, diversity of pedagogy, and ease of implementation.

Cynthia Eayre 1 year, 5 months ago

Well brief comments would be helpful.  I am looking for accurate content, well written text, good illustrations.  Possible quiz questions would be great.

Ashleigh Thompson 1 year, 5 months ago

1. I prefer star ratings. Star ratings give a quick and general reference of the resource. I can check the star rating at a quick glance to decide if I want to look futher in that resource which can save me time in the long run. If a resource has a low star rating, I will typically not devote time into looking further into that resource. 

2. I tend to look for easy navigation and length, I want the resource to be clear to understand and have a good amount of content. 

Kim Barber 1 year, 5 months ago

1. I look at the star ratings first. The highest star ratings for the topic I am looking for are those I spend my time evaluating further.

2. Comments are important however those are not common for what I have seen so far. Then I will look at an embedded rubric. Accessibility is important so if possible I will make changes to address accessibility if the resource is not marked as such. If I cannot make the neccesary changes I will not use it.

Nicholle Stone 1 year, 5 months ago

Hello,

Not sure if this is part of the "Amazon" culture or what, but the star ratings only lead me to read the comments. Otherwise, the stars alone don't influence me much. The comments would be my go-to. I didn't see any with a rubric, but after reading the comments, I would read the rubric.

- Organization (chunked, easy to read, good information design) 

- Content accuracy

- Grammar

- References

Tonia Lashley 1 year, 5 months ago

Because I am visual, I tend to lean more to the star ratings when evaluating a resource; if I have to. To be honest, I generally do not like evaluating because they seem to be more subjective than objective in my opinion. For example, the resources could actually be doing what it is required to do but depending upon how I receive it or the mind set I may be in at the time would have some bearing on my evaluation; and this does not seem fair to me.

The first couple chapters, the introduction or the narrative is usually where I start. I have learned the majority of what will be shared in the resource is usually located in either one or all of the aforementioned. If I am skimming a resource in which I am familiar with the context, it may be information that I can skip. On the other hand, if I am skimming a resource of information that is new to me, I will take the time to read specific sections in more detail than other. 

Amelia Wilkinson 1 year, 5 months ago

1. The platform offers three methods of evaluating a resource - star ratings, leaving comments or using an embedded rubric.

• Which method of evaluating do you prefer?

• I like to look at the reviews if offered and also by the rating. I like to make sure it has enough information that I feel I can learn from it. Also, check for grammar, accessibility, and copyright. I also like to see how recent it was written. I don't like to use outdated resources. 

Nancy Mosley 1 year, 5 months ago

I prefer leaving a star rating with comments too. The longer review process is nice, but I can't see many people having time to do that. When I do a brief skim of a resource, I look for the source and date, as well as certain topics for a subject I know could be tricky to see how they covered it. I also look for what interaction the students can have with the resource - student activities, quizzes, etc. 

Cynthia Cofield 1 year, 4 months ago

1. I preferred the Star ratings

2. I looked at the Star ratings. Needs to be at leas 4-stars for me to check it out.

Roslyn Pemberton 1 year, 4 months ago
  1. The platform offers three methods of evaluating a resource - star ratings, leaving comments or using an embedded rubric. Which method of evaluating do you prefer?  I prefer the star ratings.  They allow me to norrow my search to see which resources are more valuable.  I use the stars as a filter. 

2. What do you tend to look for when you do a brief skim of a resource?  I look for the way the resource looks.  Is it easy to read? Understand? Does it make sense? I also look for spelling and grammar errors.  

Linda Robinson 1 year, 4 months ago

I too prefer the star ratings.  It is a quick and easy way to determine if the resource is worth looking at for content consideration.

2,  What do you tend to look for when you do a brief skim of a resource?

Like the others have commented, bad grammar is an instant turn off for me.  There are too many resouces that can be employed to ensure the content is at least grammatically correct before being published.  It would be like publishing a book without having it edited it first.