Fine Free

by Jenny Thomas 2 years ago

Randolph is going fine free. For those of you who've done the same, what did that look like for your library and what updates did you make in WorkFlows?

Deana Guido 2 years ago

Hi Jenny (and group),

Halifax is also considering going fine free and would appreciate input from the other colleges. Great thought about WorkFlows too!

Deana

Jenny Thomas 1 year, 11 months ago

Hi Deana,

I haven't received any feedback on here or via email about WF, so I'm meeting with Drew next week. I'll share what I learn.

As far as our policies, we removed text about overdue fines and only have text about fees for lost materials now. This was with the approval of our VP of Instructional Services. The change was then approved by our Board of Trustees. I've pasted the text below.

Currently, we are forgiving any overdue fines as materials are returned until we refigure our Circ Map in WF. I haven't advertised the change yet, either. I plan to once everything is as it should be. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!  

Fees for Lost Materials/Cards – Students, faculty/staff and community residents (16 years or older):

• Book/AV materials: Cost of material + $5.00 non-refundable processing fee
  • Interlibrary loan materials: Lending library charge + $2.00 non-refundable processing fee
  • Library borrower's cards: $5.00 non-refundable fee

Students are not allowed to register, graduate or receive transcripts until all overdue materials have been returned to the library and outstanding fines have been paid.

Jenny Thomas 1 year, 11 months ago

Basically, Drew showed us the circ map for Randolph and we went through the circulation rules and changed anything that was set to have a charge after its circulation period ended to no fine. 

That's a loaded sentence, but for anyone who wants to go fine free, I suggest contacting Drew. It was an easy process. 

Things to remember, the updates made will not take place until the server updates overnight AND the updates are not retroactive for items currently checked out.