Non-Fading Spine Labels Topic

by Rachel Whitener 2 years, 3 months ago

What types of printers and labels do you use to create spine labels?   We currently use a Dymo printer and print directly from Sirsi, which is fabulous!  However, within a few years our labels fade and discolor on the items.  

Are there better labels out there that can be used with the Dymo that will not fade?  We used to print out call numbers on sheets, however the labels would peel off and get stuck inside the expensive laser network printers.  Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.

I have gotten several answers and I will post in comments to this post so that this information will be available for everyone to reference in the future.Thanks!

Rachel Whitener 2 years, 3 months ago

Hi Rachel,

We use Duraready labels with our Dymo printers.  They are the best we have ever used!  Here is the link:

https://duraready.com/library/school/1016d-1.0-x-1.5-white-bopp-plastic-label/

I replied All in case anyone else wants the information.

Thanks, Tammy

Hi Rachel,

We had the same problem you describe and switched to the labels Tammy linked below (except we use the 1” square size).  We switched probably three years ago and haven’t noticed any fading with these.  We also use a Dymo printer.

Mary Anne Caudle, MLS, Library Director

Rachel,

We have used Demco Paper Processing Labels 1-1/2" x 9/10" White 4800/Box SKU W14916760 for years – at least since 2018 – probably longer, and we have not noticed any fading or discoloration. We just print them on a standard Lexmark B&W laser printer and have never had a problem with the labels coming loose or jamming of any kind. I am not sure that we have used the same stock the whole time, but we’ve been doing it this way since I came here in 2008 and I have never noticed any fading on any of the laser printed labels.

Occasionally, when we don’t have a full sheet we will print that batch and save the partial sheet to run again when we need a small batch very quickly, and still we don’t have jamming.  We don’t like to do that much because the laser printer will leave a faint film of toner on the entire sheet and this build up becomes visible by comparison on the second run. By the third run it becomes too noticeable to ignore.

Charles

------

Hi Rachel,

Another option in addition to the change to spine label stock would be to use a spine label protector. Here is link to a product I found as an example. I haven't used this product so I'm not recommending it but rather providing this link as an example of what might be possible. https://www.amazon.com/Library-Store-UV-Resistant-Label-Protectors/dp/B083MVFWXN?th=1

This would allow you to use the rest of your current stock and protect your existing spine labels that are already on the shelf. This would add an extra step to the labelling process but I thought it might be a good solution to save you from needing to relabel your entire collection and allow you to use up any remaining label stock before switching to new labels.

Drew